Tuesday 25 October 2011

Absolutely shattered Eden Brae Homes......

Well what a difference a week can make, this time last week I was so happy our stairs had been installed and when I had driven by that evening I could see them in all their glory. Today I have been so down about the house, I am ready to walk away from it so it's pretty sad to be that frustrated with the whole process that you are willing to walk away from your dreams!

You are probably wondering what's got me down right?, after reading over our contract over the weekend, I emailed our CSO today to find out about the "industry" shutdown over Christmas. I wasn't sure how this would affect the build and given that we are getting quite close to completion I thought I would ask. So Eden Brae Homes will be shut down for 5 weeks from around 22 December 2011 and ofcourse this is covered under one of the many clauses you are supposed to read in your contract document.

Given that I work for an educational institution, I also need to submit my leave plans for December and January (as lots of staff take leave over this period) and figured if EBH can give me an approximate date of completion it would give me atleast something to advise my boss.

Our SS has been telling us, we are ahead of schedule, we are ahead of schedule, yet today when we question a possible finish before Christmas, Eden Brae pull out the old contract clause and then advise us that we have 18 delay days in our contract. So on one hand they are telling us they are ahead of schedule and on the other they are telling us we've had 18 days worth of rain delays! Go figure!

What makes me so angry is that other builders appear to be bending over backwards to push jobs through before Christmas and trying to get people into their new homes. Apparently Eden Brae Homes just see us as another $$ sign or just another job number on their books. Where is the personal service Eden Brae? Our near complete home will stand empty for 5 weeks over the Christmas period, I am disgusted that they would not try harder to finish the house rather than allowing it to sit there over Christmas. This delay wil also increase the already mounting financial pressures on us (sorry kids we can't afford Christmas) and will also cost us another $3K in rent "dead" money but most importantly, we won't be moved in and settled before our daughter starts Kindergarten in 2012.  Thanks for nothing Eden Brae!

Our back colorbond fence was installed last week, here's how that turned out: